2 dozen large eggs (preferably several days old)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade is best)2 or 3 dashes chili pepper sauce (DeFrance prefers Tabasco)
Dash Worcestershire sauce
6 to 8 drops fresh lemon juice
Salt and black pepper to taste
Paprika to taste
Basic Eggs:1 1/2 teaspoons Durkee Famous Sauce or Dijon mustard1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, drainedChopped fresh chives for garnishPesto Eggs:1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted2 tablespoons prepared basil pestoChiffonade of fresh basil, for garnish
Sun-Dried Tomato Eggs:2 teaspoons sun-dried tomato pesto1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, blotted dry and patted dry, finely choppedAdditional sun-dried tomatoes, blotted and cut into strips for garnish
1. Cover eggs with cold water in a large pot and bring to a rapid boil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Run cold water over eggs to cool. Peel and cut each egg in half lengthwise. Place egg yolks in bowl and mash. Add Chile Pepper Sauce, Worcestershire, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to yolks and mash to desired consistency. Divide mixture among 3 bowls.
3. To make basic eggs: Mix Durkee sauce, or Dijon mustard, and sweet pickle relish into one bowl of yolk mixture. Fill 16 egg white halves with the mixture. Garnish with chopped chives.
4. To make pesto eggs: Mix all but 2 tablespoons pine nut and the pesto into second bowl of yolk mixture. Fill 16 egg white halves with mixture. Garnish with remaining 2 tablespoons pine nuts and basil.
5. To make sun-dried tomato eggs: Mix tomato pesto and chopped sun-dried tomatoes into remaining bowl of yolk mixture. Fill 16 halved eggs whites with the mixture. Garnish with strips of sun-dried tomatoes.
Yield: Makes 8 servings.
You can chase a butterfly all over the field and never catch it. But if you sit quietly in the grass it will come and sit on your shoulder.