Pages

Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Evils of Milk

I love milk but it does not love me. I am lactose intolerant and it kills me. I have used soy for about the last 5 years with no problems. I just miss regular milk. Today I have a large coffee drink with soy protein and it has now done me in. My stomach is a bubbling mass of hot, molten latte. But is sure was good going down. The bad thing is I bought about 1/2 gallon of the pre made up coffee latte and I hate to throw it away. But I just might have too.

The bad thing is I drank it about 2 and then took a nap. When I woke up I had no idea what was wrong..not remembering I had drank REAL milk. I just realized about 30 minutes ago. I guess I will be drinking lots of water to flush it all out.

Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest significant amounts of lactose, the major sugar found in milk. Lactose intolerance is caused by a shortage of the enzyme lactase, which is produced by the cells that line the small intestine. Lactase breaks down milk sugar into two simpler forms of sugar called glucose and galactose, which are then absorbed into the bloodstream. Not all people deficient in lactase have the symptoms commonly associated with lactose intolerance, but those who do are said to have lactose intolerance.


You can chase a butterfly all over the field and never catch it. But if you sit quietly in the grass it will come and sit on your shoulder.
~~Unknown~~

No comments: