Pages

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Breakfast of Champions

To day I had a breakfast of champions.  M & Ms.  A little jar full.  The peanut ones.  I washed them down with a big bottle of Perrier water. Lemon flavored.  I did bring a small container of blackberries.  I bought them at the store day before yesterday and I let them sit overnight to get riper or maybe a little sweeter.  They had some mold on them this morning.  How can they be moldy that fast?    I ate what I could and threw the rest away.  That ended up being most of them.  The ones I did eat were wonderful.  I wanted them for the antioxidants. 

Few fruits have quite the provocative allure, the fragile charm or the nutrients of berries. They're full of fiber, minerals and vitamins, and loaded with healing antioxidants. Blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are rich in proanthocyanidins, antioxidants that can help prevent cancer and heart disease. Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries contain ellagic acid, a plant compound that combats carcinogens. Blueberries also appear to delay the onset of age-related loss of cognitive function.

I love berries and have recently come to love to just eat them out of the container.  I love blue berries that way and I have never been a blue berry fan.  Not until about three years ago.  I also bought with me today a box of white tea.  I have not tried it before either.  The white tea is supposed to have more antioxidants  that the green tea.  Now I do drink green tea just about every day. 

What is so special about green tea?   

The secret of green tea lies in the fact it is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a powerful anti-oxidant: besides inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, it kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue. It has also been effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots.  The latter takes on added importance when you consider that thrombosis (the formation of abnormal blood clots) is the leading cause of heart attacks and stroke.

No comments: