Pages

Monday, January 29, 2007

Apricot Bars

I went to Costco and found the most wonderful apricot bars for breakfast.  They are low in calorie and taste great!  They are a good way to start the day.  Normally at work I sometimes opt for the unhealthy snack machine.  When I do that I am really desperate mode.  I might end up with those white powered donuts, or the chocolate ones.  To prevent the chocolate ones from tasting like chocolate covered wax, you need to heat then for 8 seconds.  That will give you the illusion of a fresh, chocolate donut right from the bakery.

Other times I might end up with a honey bun.  They are the worst.  So sweet that they make my teeth hurt.  I am glad that I have found salvation in apricot bars. I just hope that when I go back they are still available.  They sometimes change out products there.  I bought only one container thinking that if they were bad, it would only be $6.99 lost.  Why does everything in that store cost about $6.99?  I almost dread going in there, but I love it so, because I may go in for 2 things and come out with eight.  I might have only wanted to spend $20 but end up spending $80.  This is what happened to me on Saturday.           

Apricot Bars

·       1 cup dried apricots

·       1 stick butter, softened + extra to grease pan.

·       4 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar

·       2 eggs, beaten

·       1 cup light brown sugar

·       1 teaspoon baking powder

·       1 pinch salt

·       2 teaspoons vanilla extract

·       1/2 cup chopped walnuts

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" x 8" pan.
1. Place the apricots in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, then drain and chop. Set aside.

2.  Combine the butter with the sugar and 1 cup of flour and mix well.

3. Put the mixture into the prepared pan and pat down. Bake for 25 minutes.

4. Combine the brown sugar with the 2 eggs and mix until the sugar is dissolved.

5. Mix in remaining 1/3 cup of flour together with the baking powder and salt.

6. Add the flour mixture to the brown sugar and eggs and mix well.

7. Stir in the vanilla extract, walnuts and chopped apricots. Spread this mixture over the baked layer in the pan.

8. Return the pan to the oven and cook for 30 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan, then cut into squares.

      To serve:

Makes 12 bars.

No comments: